Sunday, March 10, 2013

Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine/ the Dark Side of Garnier


Because I just posted about a Garnier Fructis product I really liked, I thought I’d balance the scale and live up to my blog title by review and Garnier product I really don’t like.

This product is the Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine line. This product has gotten a lot of great reviews and I’m honestly not sure why. I’ve seen reviews that literally claim that it has changed their life. I’ve only found one negative review and it was purely for the shampoo. Below I’ll list the reasons why I find this line to be awful for my hair.

Because I don’t know where to start with this product, I’ll start with the shampoo. When I first started lathering it into my hair, I immediately noticed that it wasn’t gliding through the strands like it should. I knew things were going wrong right from the beginning. I make sure to shampoo from underneath my hair and massage my scalp when washing to get the optimal results. This only works when the shampoo has the right texture, which this one really does not. It felt like it was clinging to my hair instead of removing the oil. I finally managed to get the shampoo out after a ridiculous amount of rinsing.

I moved onto the conditioner because I thought that it couldn’t be worse than the shampoo, that since this line had gotten such great reviews, the conditioner had to be so amazing that it redeemed it all. I felt like it was while washing it. It felt creamy, and made my hair feel softer as I was washing it. It wasn’t until my hair had dried that I realized that while this line promised “sleek shiny hair”, the exact opposite had happened. My hair was frizzier than ever which is hard to do considering it was also limper and flatter than ever before. It seemed like the product had enough oil in it to weigh down my hair and take away its main redeeming quality, the volume, while still being light enough to let individual hairs stick out and make me look like I had been electrocuted.

One of the worst parts about this line is that because it has so many oils in it, you can’t style your hair with heat after using it. If you do, it will literally fry your hair in every sense of the word. This doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t use hair oils. They can be very beneficial… you should just use them AFTER you style it or if you don’t plan on styling with heat. Your hair my look great immediately after you style it, but I learned the hard way that it will not look great after doing this and you’ll end up needing even more frizz fighting products than you did before you started.

Pros:
Smells nice
Good packaging
Possibly redeemable conditioner
Very affordable

Cons:
Made hair frizzy and limp
Sticky, unpleasant texture
Can’t use heat styling
Was demoted to dog shampoo

This product was bought with my own money and not given to me by a company. These opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment