Wednesday, March 13, 2013

L'oreal Voluminous Million Lashes Mascara


This is one of the L’oreal mascaras of which I’m not too fond. I have a love/hate relationship with this mascara. I think it’s great for a really natural downplayed look, but it has a number of flaws. My biggest problem with this mascara is that although it says it’s suitable for sensitive eyes, it’s certainly not! I put this on right before going on a date and about fifteen minutes into the date, my eyes were burning so badly that they were watering all over the place. I ended up having to go to a bathroom and scrub it off with soap and water. I looked horrible. I managed to get all my makeup off, but my eyes and face were bright red from a combination of the mascara and using hand soap to wash my face.

One of the reasons I think that it caused such irritation in my eyes is another one of my issues with this mascara: the smell. The smell hits you as soon as you pull out the wand. It’s strong and unpleasant. I really wish I could describe this better, but it smells awful and “chemically.” Yes, I just made the word up. I’m not sure what they put in it to make it smell this way. It might be the collagen. There was a lot of hype about this mascara having collagen in it. I don’t know why that’s supposed to be a good thing in mascara. I think that the word “collagen” has become so sensationalized in skin care products that manufacturers are throwing it into just about everything. Yes, collagen has some anti-aging properties when ingested or injected and it is being debated over whether a topical application can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles, but you know what’s not wrinkled or old? My lashes. I just don’t see the point in putting collagen in a mascara, especially when it’s known to have adverse allergy reactions including…you guessed it, prolonged redness, rash, and a burning sensation. The back of the box claims, “Ophthalmologist & allergy tested. Suitable for sensitive eyes & contact lens wearers. Fragrance free.” All of these claims are incorrect in my opinion except for the first one. I’m sure the product was test by an ophthalmologist for allergies… they didn’t say it was APPROVED by an ophthalmologist.
This wand is perfect for natural, lengthened lashes

Wearing two coats of the mascara, pardon my lack of other makeup.

Other than my qualms with the formula upsetting my allergies, I also thought it was too thin for the look I typically go for, which is bold, beautiful lashes. It coats the lashes evenly and nicely, but it just doesn’t have the consistency to provide real volume. Couple that with the brush design, and you don’t get the desired volume. This brush is great for providing length and separating lashes. It absolutely defines every lash, but for a product named “Voluminous” its volumizing qualities just don’t cut it in my book. I do really love the “excess wiper” that keeps you from getting way too much clumpy product on the wand, though. Overall, this mascara gives a very nice, very natural look, it just doesn’t do what it promises and for $8 a tube, I will not be repurchasing this.  I do think that I’ll keep the wand, though for if I want an elongated, down played lash look.

No comments:

Post a Comment